A fortune 500 Aerosapce company is seeking a Systems Engineer (SE) to support their Connected Aviation Solutions (CAS) Engineering division located in the Annapolis, Maryland. The Systems Engineer will work on the GLOBALink system, which is an air to ground communications system serving the commercial aviation and government air traffic authorities around the world. GLOBALink is comprised of hundreds of radio ground stations, interfaces to satellite ground-earth stations, interfaces to hundreds of airline and civil aviation authority systems, and complex, proprietary message processing and system management servers, all connected by a complex and sizable communication infrastructure. The system is subject to continuous change as networking and communication technologies evolve.
The Systems Engineer will be responsible to support teams and programs for systems engineering design, analysis, planning, implementation, troubleshooting and enhancements with respect to the GLOBALink system.
Responsibilities will include the following:
• Analyze statement of need and business requirements
• Lead highly technical engineering teams on challenging System focused projects
• Providing analysis for the decomposition of customer specifications and system level requirements into sub-system and piece part requirements
• Develop solutions with cross discipline engineering teams
• Documenting technical analysis
• Performing analysis of data flows and data logs
• Analyzing the performance of the system against established systems performance parameters such as latency, availability, and capacity
• Candidates must have a minimum of 5 years of system engineering experience performing system engineering
• Implementing architectural changes and customer-driven enhancements to complex systems. Complex systems typically involved multiple servers, interfaces, networks, and databases.
• Experience with full life-cycle – development, test, implementation, and long-term support.
• Developing technical product roadmaps depicting the steps anticipated to migrate from the current state to the targeted future state.
• Experience with the management of the configuration process, functional analysis, timeline analysis, operational scenarios, detail trade studies, requirements allocation and interface definition studies to translate customer requirements into hardware and software specifications.
• Integrating with external systems operated by external companies or agencies.
• Analyzing performance of complex systems through statistical analysis
• Performing technical planning, system integration, verification and validation, cost and risk, and supportability and effectiveness analyses for total systems.
• Eliciting and managing customer requirements.
• Experience working in a highly integrated team environment with software, hardware, and network engineers.
• Knowledge of contemporary technologies that may be applicable in addressing product and market needs
• Experience working in communications systems
• Experience working in a service oriented business model for engineering
• Experience working in high availability systems, with a sound understanding of RMA and redundant architectures and design
• Proven communication and collaboration skills to work with counter parts in IMS, Government Systems, and Commercial Systems and across the engineering groups in CANS Engineering
• Ability to manage and lead SE projects
• Experience with aeronautical communication, air traffic management, or airline operations
• Experience with storage and management of large data
• Experience with tracking projects progress and reporting this status to Management
• Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Information Technology, Computer Science, or related field.