Jared Cross, Tential Associate
Whether you are recently laid off, furloughed, in an unstable job position, or perhaps holding on to your job with all of your might, the current work climate is harsh for many people during this time. What’s even more challenging is the feverish sum of candidates looking for a new career. Nationwide we are at an unprecedented unemployment rate which has already surpassed 16%. The candidate market is more congested than ever. The technology industry has been greeted with a reality check, too— even we are not invincible during these unsettling moments. I have had more conversations than I’ve ever had with Data Analysts, Data Scientists, and Data Engineers in the past three weeks. They are nervous about what’s next, looking for work, and seeking guidance on how to move forward. But what if it didn’t have to be this nerve-wracking? What if you had powerful, meaningful relationships in your professional network to lean on during this time?
The keyword here—You got it! Relationships. Genuine ones. This is what Tential’s nucleus thrives on and is what people desperately need during these trying times. From my daily conversations, it was quickly evident to me that those who have built strong relationships are far better positioned than those who refused to network or connect with new people in the past. The equation is obvious, and the output is significantly beneficial. Now is the time to make these connections.
Here are some ways you can get the ball rolling:
1. LinkedIn Engagement:
- It can be as simple as commenting on a post and interacting with others’ reactions or posting your own article and responding to those who engage with you. LinkedIn is the perfect place to start a conversation.
2. LinkedIn Messaging:
- Reach out to someone you admire professionally. Check-in on them, bond over these universal circumstances, seek advice, offer support. I guarantee the results will be favorable.
- Yes, these times are trying and completely unusual. However, take advantage of the fact that distance is no longer an obstacle. We are all in this together on one virtual playing field. Reach out to that old colleague of yours whose job took them to a new place. Invite those in other cities, states, countries to a virtual meetup, and reunite.
4. Meetup Groups:
- Join a Meetup group. There so many out there, and many have quickly adapted to virtual setups.
- I would love to meet [virtually] and help you find the best way to make valuable connections geared towards your path specifically.
Luckily, it’s not too late to start connecting with amazing people around you. Look left. Look right! OK… perhaps you’re alone in quarantine so that won’t quite work. But even in these very quarantined and very virtual conditions, there are still meaningful ways to make authentic connections.
So, pick up the phone, register for that virtual meetup, and answer that random person on LinkedIn who is messaging you to network. I have had incredible friendships, and professional relationships stem from those simple, genuine touchpoints. I promise you won’t regret it!
Let’s connect! I’m eager to hear from you!
Happy relationship building, my friends!
At Tential, our number one priority is you. While others may divert your questions, we encourage you to ask away! We care about everyone we interact with as if they are our family, and that means that if you have a question, you can always reach out. Connect with an Associate today!